Search The Archive

Search form

Collection Search
Date: April 3rd 1917

April 3rd, 1917

Dearest Mother:

Haven't much to do this afternoon so must write home. Received your letter of March 7 the night before last and one from Clemmie dated March 9. Was sorry to hear of Allan McLeod's death. It seems sad that two of them should have gone in such a short time, but there is comfort in the fact their lives having been given in such a noble cause have not been spent in vain and they shall receive their reward for what they have done.
Well we are back in the battery again. Came back yesterday forenoon after what one might call a two months and a half vacation for a change and the light work was the same as a vacation to us. We had a good time and Sgt. Lee was as a white a man as one can ever hope to work under - one of those big hearted, high principled fellows. He was liked and respected by everyone. Full of fun, he found in our little bunch men who responded to his good-fellowship and we never had a dull moment all the time we were there and when we were leaving he said goodbye with tears in his eyes.

Well we got back about dinner time, had dinner and we four telephonists came up to our old cellar. There were two in it before, Warren Lane and a Beans chap. Conrad and I are sharing top bunk on one side, Warren and Les Smith are in the lower one and Walter Smith and Beans on the other side. They are a fine bunch of fellows.

I am on duty today as battery busman with another chap. Our job is to go out and fix up the lines if any of them go down and our tour of duty is 24 hours. We patrolled one of our O.P.s about a two and a half mile walk across country and back. It was quite a change for me and I enjoyed it although walking was a little muddy.

Wednesday morning. Just got to this point when the office rang up and told us our other O.P. was down and we had to go out over it. Found the fault and got it fixed up getting in just before supper. After supper the doctor came up to innoculate us. All the boys but the eight of us who were away had been done before. After we had been jabbed it was such a beautiful evening that Ben and I took a walk into the village behind us for some eats. Here we met some of the Princess Pats and I ran across a fellow who knew Don McLeod. He took me to his quarters but he was out so I did not see him. If it is fine tonight however I will take a run in.

Don't think I have much news. I think I mentioned in one of my letters Kinsman had got a scratch from a piece of high explosive. It was only a scratch and he is back with the battery again. The boys are all well. Was talking to Eon and Herb McEwen last night. They are fine. Personally I never felt better.

Think I must close now and write to Clemmie.

Love to all from your loving son, Harold