Search The Archive

Search form

Collection Search
Date: July 19th 1885

July 19 - Another good night's sleep, a breakfast fit for a king and good fellowship all around. Owen Sound was in sight; we were in the sound and we docked at 10:15 a.m., and what a crowd was there to meet us; the wharf was packed with a cheering, dancing crowd gone crazy. Parasols were knocked every way, hats flying in all directions. Where were we to get off? No room for a mule to get through, and not far off our train stood waiting for us. Toronto our next stop.

Then a company of soldiers and Owen Sound Police appeared, trying to open a passageway for us. They finally succeeded, and we were able to make a move for our train. Then everyone wanted a souvenir: buttons, badges, hardtack, bully beef, anything would do, until we hadn't enough buttons left to keep our clothes on. We finally reached our train and by 1 p.m. we were on our way.

Reached Toronto about 5 and had the reception of our lives. Up York and east on King, our sun-burned, rag-tag and bobtail veterans from the prairies marched to the step of the Body Guards Band with a swing that caught the cheering crowds. Had tea at the Albion Hotel down near the market. This was given by the city. From there we took our train at the foot of Jarvis St. and at 2 p.m. we were on our way to Port Hope.

Arrived at Port Hope at 10:30 p.m. It was a dark night. Marched down John St. from G.T.R. Station, all poorly lighted by the same old gas lamps. There was almost dumb silence all along. The crowds couldn't get up a cheer. Just the occasional Hullo Jack, or Tom, Dick or Harry. Our march was to Ward's Hill up near Trinity College. When we turned on to the main street the cheers came at last. There was no band. Where is the old 46th Band? was asked by a lot of our men, particularly the Port Hope Company "E". Had the Colonel's death caused this very tame reception?

Then this is Sunday. Reached a ready made camp on Ward's Hill; fires going, 20 of them or more all over the grounds. Orders were read out. Col. Williams' funeral to be (by Regl. Orders) held on Tuesday 21st from St. John's Church at 3 p.m. Soon we were in our blankets and fast asleep. A most strenuous day for all of us. On Lake Superior last night and away up here on the Hill tonight.