Search The Archive

Search form

Collection Search
Date: April 17th 1916

50 Weymouth St
London W.

April 17th 1916

My Dear Mother,

Last time I wrote you I think I was at No 14 Stationary Hospital, Boulogne, getting over my official measles. Since then I have had several little changes of scenery. The day after I wrote you April 13 I was moved up to No 14 General Hospital which is just a few hundred yards up the beach. It was quite the best place I had been at in my travels in France. Before the war it was a large hotel and was by far the swellest place on the beach. Now it is turned into an officer's hospital and run by the British. I spent parts of two days there expecting they would operate on my throat. But the Dr who was a Major asked me if I would have him operate there or would I rather go over to England and have it done there. I told him it was entirely up to him. So he said "Well, I know you would like a few holidays so I will send you over next boat". And this he did, the day following.

I must say that there, as at all other places along the line the treatment was of the very best. They act as though you were a long-expected guest and they do all they can for your comfort. For example, I had a huge room looking out onto the sea. The hotel is not more than 20 yards from the sea, in fact when the tide is in the waves come up almost to the steps. My room had 5 large windows all looking out to sea and was bright and comfortable. The food, as elsewhere along the line, was excellent.

Saturday morning (April 15) I crossed over to Dover, and from Dover right up to here. On the train, as on the boat, they did all they could to make one feel comfortable & happy. When we arrived at Charing Cross an officer came aboard the train and gave us each a card telling us where to go. I was traveling with a Major of the 20th Battalion (one of our brigade), so he gave us each a card for the same place. When we came out onto the platform we got the glad hand from a couple of Sisters and they trotted us off to a huge limousine which was waiting for us. Then we came to this place. And just a word about our present home. It is in the West End, up among the big bugs. Not more than about 15 minutes walk from Hyde Park and Buckingham Palace. It is just about 2 blocks from Harley Street, the "hotbed of specialists". So if we are in need of a Dr in a hurry we should be able to get one.

The Major & I are still together and we have a lovely large front room. This is sort of a semi-private hospital run by a lady who lets the war office have 16 cots and she "prefers" Canadian officers, so I expect we will be quite a[t] home here.

As you know I am here to get my wretched tonsils out so probably I will have that done in a day or two. Up to date since coming here I have played the Wait and See game, and the Surgeon has not been around.

I am feeling just fine. I have been out for a couple of walks and do tire quite easily, but that is [the] result of my two weeks of nothing doing. I have written over to France to have my mail forwarded and will be glad when it arrives as I have not had a letter for quite three weeks.

Will drop a line soon & let you know how I am coming. Do not worry as I am having a fine holiday. Lots of love for all & best regards [for] Miss Smith.

Loving son


Original Scans

Original Scans